Over a lawyer's career there often comes a time when it is best to change law firms. There are many reasons including:
- Incompatibility with the current law firm's policies, philosophy or the attorneys' personalities
- Lack of opportunity for professional growth and career advancement
- Desire to practice in an area not supported by the firm
- The need for greater income
Whatever the reason, the wise attorney, whether an equity partner or an associate, will plan the transition carefully.
It is important to consider all of the ramifications of the change such as:
- What will be the effect on your current clients?
- What will be the effect on your current litigation cases?
- How will the change affect your marketing efforts to past firm clients?
- How will ongoing work on existing files be handled?
- Can you maintain courteous, professional relations with the firm?
- How can you ethically transfer your existing clients to the new firm?
- What information; client lists, databases, marketing materials…can you ethically take?
- What will be the effect on your law practice area?
- What will be the effect of the change on your referral sources?
- How will changing law firms impact your legal marketing efforts?
- Will the new firm compensation package result in greater income in the long run?
- What will be the impact on making partner?
Coaching for Lawyers.com can help:
- If you already have an offer from another law firm, I can help you evaluate the offer. Together we will explore your reasons to leave the current law firm, the nuts and bolts of the offer you have received, your career goals and how the offer will address these goals. I can provide needed objectivity. I have no vested interest in the outcome of your choice, no reason to discourage your or encourage you in your decision. My sole purpose is to help you decide what would be best for you. I provide you with honest feedback based upon years of experience.
- If you are looking for another law firm to join I can help you plan your search and structure the transition. First, if necessary, I will help you clarify your career goals. Then, together we will prepare a plan to investigate how you and your legal practice area will fit into your local legal community. I will help you determine what firms may be a good fit and how to subtlety go about learning if there may be an opportunity at that firm for you. In working with me you will have a partner supporting you, encouraging you and keeping you on track from the beginning of your search through your successful move to the new firm.